When it’s time to buy a new stick, there are many fun decisions to be made about heads, shafts, lacrosse pockets and more. As you personalize the features of your crosse, consider the age-old lacrosse equipment question: mesh or leather?
Mesh Lacrosse Pockets
Mesh has become the more popular of the two main styles of lacrosse pockets, because it is easy to use and very durable.
There are three types of mesh available: hard, soft and dura mesh.
More players today choose hard mesh over leather, because it is easier to break in, and it holds the pocket during rain or other adverse conditions. Hard mesh holds the ball well and delivers a solid shot speed. It is a good choice for athletes of any level.
Soft mesh is perfect for beginner lacrosse players, because it is easy to break in. It also provides great catching ability and a fast shot.
The downside of soft mesh is that it is not as durable. The pocket may bag out in extreme weather.
Dura mesh, which is good for intermediate and advanced players, is popular for several reasons.
- Requires very little time to break in.
- Maintains a pocket even in the worst weather conditions.
- Increases the speed of a shot.
Traditional Leather Pockets
Leather pockets are commonly referred to as traditional, because this material has been used to string sticks for generations. Over the years, the evolution of the lacrosse pocket has increased a player’s ability to personalize it to their liking.
- Great feeling, hold and control.
- Harder, more accurate shot.
- From sidewall laces to shooting strings, these lacrosse pockets are fully-customizable.’
- It’s not so easy to string correctly.
- Wetness can destroy the pocket.
- When the head breaks, the pocket is difficult to salvage.
- It requires regular maintenance.
After weighing the pros and cons, ultimately your choice will come down to a matter of personal preference. Some players swear by their leather, while others prefer mesh. Whichever you choose, there’s no wrong answer to this common lacrosse question.Last modified: June 16, 2022