Gym freaks will know the significance of lacrosse balls in workout training programs. But if you believe that these balls are used as intended in the gym setting, then you are wrong. NOCSAE Certified lacrosse balls are used as a massage device that helps in relaxing painful and sore muscles.
Lacrosse balls are often used for the purpose of self-myofascial release. The thin layer of tissue connecting the organs and muscles in the body, known as Fascia, can lead to persisting pain when disrupted. It can also lead the individual to poor movement patterns and an unnatural gait.
Self-myofascial therapy using a lacrosse ball allows the fascia to stretch and relax so that the underlying tissues can work freely without causing much pain. Trainers prefer using lacrosse balls as they are dense as well as hard. Lacrosse balls are safe to use for training purposes and do not alter even under extreme pressure.
This article elaborates on the benefits of lacrosse ball massage and different techniques one can use to get the most benefit out of the message.
Benefits of Using Lacrosse Ball Massage
There are several benefits of using a lacrosse ball for self-myofascial therapy. Some of these benefits are listed below:
- The exercise increases joint range of motion
- It decreases fatigue after exercise
- It enhances muscle performance
- The soreness in the muscle after exercise is decreased with self-myofascial therapy.
It is always wise to do a self-myofascial therapy as it relaxes the muscles. You can do it at anytime of the day. You can see the best results with constant practice. But before you start using lacrosse ball to sooth your muscles after a taxing workout session, you need to know about some awesome techniques to help you go about the same. Read on to know more.
Best Lacrosse Ball Self-Massage Techniques
If you have been complaining of pain and discomfort after sweating long hours in the gym, it is likely that your muscles need some relaxing. Listed down below are 5 best lacrosse ball massage techniques that you can do anytime of the day to relax those tightened muscles.
Long hours of sitting can result in tightened hamstrings. Stiffing of hamstring can result in immense pain in the hips, lower back, and knees. A few minutes of lacrosse ball massage will make sure you get rid of the pain and mend your movement patterns.
Make sure you follow the below mentioned points to ensure the same.
- Sit on a table or a hard surface which is high enough. Make sure your legs are off the ground and they hang off the edge
- Next you have to lean and put all your body weight against the thighs
- You must put the lacrosse ball under your thigh and move it around
- Do it till you find a tender spot
- Once you have found the pain point, you have to keep your leg moving. Extend and bend your knee for at least 30 seconds. You have to move the ball until the pain subsides.
Gluteal muscles make up the buttocks area. Glutes are a group of three muscles stretch from the ileum and sacrum up to the femur. These muscles, when subjected to extreme stress, tend to tighten up and therefore, cause discomfort and pain in the hip area. You can treat your glutes using just a lacrosse ball. It relives the tension in the muscles around the buttocks and ensure better flexibility of muscles in the hip and lower back region.
This is how you can do it:
- You need to stand with your back pressed lightly against the wall. Make sure the meaty area of your butt is against the wall.
- Pace the ball between the wall and your hip muscles and turn side to side with your hips
- Relax your hips and allow your weight to fall on the ball against the wall. You need to apply constant pressure on your hip area.
- You have to hold the position for at least 30 seconds. Hold it till you feel the pain subside.
- Do this on both sides of your buttocks.
3. Chest and Shoulders
Stiffening of chest muscles can be the cause for neck pain, back pain and even poor posture. You can use a lacrosse ball to release the tension in the muscles around the area of your chest and shoulders.
- Stand face to face with the wall and
- Place the ball on your chest and press it against the wall. You must transfer all your bodyweight into the lacrosse ball and relax.
- Move and roll the ball with your chest muscles and find the tender spot. You must roll the ball slowly and relax into the position.
- Gently massage the area around your chest till you feel the condition getting better
You can even massage your shoulders using the same trick:
- You must stand with your back lightly pressed against the wall. You can place the ball on one side of the spine.
- Rotate the ball and move around till you find the tender spot
- Cross your hands over the chest and let yourself loose on the lacrosse ball
- Massage around your shoulder knots to relax them
- Repeat the same on the other side of the spine for at least a minute
4. Feet (Plantar Fascia)
Planter Fascia is the sole that runs along the bottom of the foot. Planter Fasciitis is a condition that causes your feet muscles to get inflamed or irritated. A few minutes of massage with the lacrosse ball and help you reduce the pain by breaking up adhesions.
- Sit on a chair or couch with your feet touching the floor.
- Place the ball on the ach of the foot and rotate the ball while putting your weight on the ball.
- You have to continue this for at least 30 seconds